Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Something I learned from the guest speakers...

Aside from our previous class, I learned not to wait until the last day to vote. It was awful. I was hoping it would be a quick in and out, but no. I waited, and waited, and waited.

But what I found most important during our visit was the importance of keeping it simple. Unfortunately I didn't happen to realize my roundabout description of what I had learned from student teaching was anything but simple. Engaged faces turned into confused expressions as I stumbled on "... what I'm trying to say is...." I was so concerned I mispronounced a word that for the last week I had been replaying my statement over and over again in my head. I have come to the conclusion that no, I hadn't mispronounced something, but unloaded the trash.

What I learned from that experience, and many similar occasions, is 1. I need to think about what I want to say before I say it, 2. rehearse possible answers (not often, I don't want to sound too rehearsed), 3. try desperately not to stumble over my words, and 4. take nonverbal expressions as cues to "wrap-it-up."

I hope someday my long-winded tendencies will lapse so I can begin a life of simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment