Friday, May 7, 2010

Methods Reflection

This course was influential in regards to the amount of information that was given about artists, lesson ideas, local art departments and how to incorporate contemporary artists into the classroom from In The Making. I found the blog was a good idea, although I fell behind far too often. I think it is important to build a community between colleagues, and to grasp the advancement of technology as a form of communication. I regret I exhibited a lack of promptness and motivation to stay on top of the blogs. I have learned that I am far too busy and continue to experience this senioritis bug that has plagued my incentives to do well and work hard. I am near the end of my college career that has taken six years to fulfill.

I have learned much throughout the semester in this class. For one, I have been introduced to a series of new artists that I have never heard before. In The Making has and will continue to be a book that I refer to often. It is fabulous. The lesson plan ideas that are listed are impressive and thought provoking. I intend on using this set further in my teaching. The lesson ideas in From Ordinary to Extraordinary are impressive as well. I am grateful for the sources we have been introduced and used throughout the semester. They will be highly appreciated throughout my teaching endeavors.

When teaching secondary art, I initially was under the assumption that students would be performing at a lower rate than college. I soon found out from Jill’s classrooms and the classrooms at Mt. Vernon and Clear Creek Amana, that students are far more capable to do extravagant things than they are given credit for. I found the style of teaching that promotes a student’s growth individually as an artist is one that expresses high expectations while giving the students room to explore on their own. After witnessing classrooms of different teachers, I have culminated styles of teaching that suit me. For instance, Rachel’s use of recyclable material is impressive—find ways to use everyday objects as substitutes in art (hangers for puppets). I found Jill’s room to have an extensive amount of individual projects that require students to develop their own creative voice. The classrooms in Mt. Vernon and Clear Creek Amana are centered on individual advancement with unique projects that are both educational and inspiring.

One idea I would like to implement into my classroom is cleaning. I would like the students to be responsible in helping me clean at the end of every trimester or semester or quarter. I realize this is probably easier said than done, but I do want to make a concerted effort in giving students responsibilities that help maintain the dignity of the classroom. By implementing a cleaning routine, I hope students will have a greater respect for the supplies and the room in which they use to create.

The areas I wish to explore are glass art, photography in high school settings, pinhole cameras, graphic design, illustrating, and performance art implementations into the classroom. I want to know how a teacher is able to explore most, if not all, of these forms of art. With the Internet as a mode of communication, I want to explore the concept of using technology to connect students as colleagues where information and ideas can be shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment