Sunday, May 2, 2010

How can you help students foster a positive sense of self-identity in the art room?

I believe the most important role you have as a teacher when fostering a positive sense of self-identity is by showing respect. Every student needs to feel accepted when establishing a positive self-identity. The simplest way you can administer a positive sense of self is by showing you care about their specific situation, about their interests, about their well-being, and about their artwork. The second facet includes establishing a high sense of accountability in students, their work and their actions. Students need to know that their work and their actions are held at a high standard. Without showing students that you believe they can attain a difficult task, you run the risk of students becoming less and less motivated. Students want to be challenged. It is important to remember high school-- how our experience was and how a teacher who established a positive experience had aided our advancement. It is essential to expose yourself as a real, approachable person who makes mistakes and finds a way to improve.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with exposing yourself as a real person. I remember in elementary and secondary school it seemed like my teachers were perfect robots who lived at school and didn't have a life outside of it. Sometimes they'd ask about my weekend and I'd forget to ask about theirs in return, assuming they never left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your ideas about respect and high expectations. How can a student NOT be themselves when they feel welcome and comfortable in their own classroom?

    ReplyDelete