I wrote this story as an example as how I hope to be of assistance to a student who came-out to me in private. Although I am not well-versed in the difficulties with coming-out, I can imagine how daunting the task can be. You are exposing a big secret, a revelation that could possibly change everything. If I were approached by a student, I would give him or her information about coming-out, keep the secret and help him or her to understand that everything will be okay- that by coming out could be the most relieving process. It is crucial for some people to have someone with whom to talk in confidence.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
LGBT
A teacher's subtle efforts in helping a student can be the most beneficial. When I say subtle, I mean in private, quietly, and inconspicuously giving help. I experienced an event in the eighth grade that warranted help. I was told by my family not to tell anyone for fear it would change the perceptions of others. I went to school the next day-running through the monotonous tasks, hoping not to break down in front of my peers. I found it difficult to perform well in class. My body was walking through the hallways, but my mind was elsewhere. Although I was surrounded by classmates and faculty, I felt alone. I am not the type of person who can keep emotions hidden. I needed to talk with someone. I spent the morning looking for someone I could trust. I resorted to writing a note to a friend. After handing her the folded piece of paper, I began questioning whether it was the right thing to do. I was screaming inside and I needed help, but could I trust my friend? Could I assume she wouldn't slip that note from friend to friend, exposing everything I was to keep hidden? I was anxious and concerned, wondering had I done the right thing? Her response was limited and indicative that she hadn't an idea how to help. In response, she directed me to the guidance counselor. The counselor provided the help I had been searching for. She gave me reading information on how to cope with similar issues. She also gave me excuses for when I needed to talk, which happened frequently. The rest of the year was difficult for our family, but I was thankful to have such help. It was the quiet, comforting, never intruding, subtle assistance that helped me overcome my issues in private.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment