Tuesday, October 12, 2010

So far __, but I' would still like to __.

This experience has been a good one. I went into elementary art thinking I would appreciate and feel more comfortable in a secondary school setting. I am not certain whether this will continue to be my perception. I have found that I can teach at the elementary level and enjoy it. It was a struggle, in the beginning, to train myself to think as an elementary student. I found myself saying phrases like "the contour of your monster could use some work" or "some shading here could give your drawing depth and direct the viewer to a focal point." It was difficult to adjust my vocabulary, although I often feel my vocabulary has weakened from September. "Zig-zag," "fluffy," "curvy," "straight," and "bumpy" have been used to describe the contours of chalk-pastel monsters.

Aside from nit-picking on my decimating vocabulary, I have been impressed with my experience. I think I have done a pretty good job, but of course, I would still like to improve on countless areas of my teaching ability. So far, I have learned a great deal. I came into elementary student teaching without a clue. I hadn't a lesson plan devised, or a management strategy thought out. I was a deer in headlights, and thankfully, I was guided across the road to safety. My cooperating teacher has been very supportive, and I am very grateful for her assistance and thoughtfulness through trying times. So far, I have been successful with having, maintaining and retaining students' attention by using different techniques. Overall, I was able to establish a well-respected environment with the kids. They followed my directions and were quick to realize their mistakes when I approached them.

So far, I haven't had the opportunity to teach many of my own lessons. There were a few that I incorporated into my teacher's plan, but I would like to have a little more freedom with which lessons I write and teach. My teacher had most of the mediums and projects devised, and throughout the experience, I basically taught her lessons. Even though every lesson was good, and certainly mine would be incomparable, I would like to have the opportunity to devise something on my own and try it. I am looking forward to secondary student teaching. It looks as though I may have more freedom to do what I plan, which in the same right, is a bit intimidating.

This is an interesting transition. It feels as though we should be nearing the end where things begin to wind down, but in all actuality, things are only just beginning. Therefore, so far, I have had a great time, but I would still like to continue these times of greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment