It was a beautiful morning. The art classroom at City High was packed with students working on their clay cake project. They were occupied with developing their designs towards a grand scheme while there were other students working on their own projects. These students had a disability of some sort. That sat among a couple of aids and worked on clay balls and pinched pots. They were occupied with the tactile nature of kneading, rolling and smashing the clay. Their shapes were incomparable to the cakes that were built at the connecting tables, and yet, they continued without anxiety to pound, roll and knead the clay into lopsided bowls and clay balls. I stood next to their table forming a piece of clay into a window for a castle while watching. I couldn't detract myself from watching their movements, their interactions, and how the aids were helping them achieve the task of working with clay. The aids were wonderful. They assumed their position beside them-- kneading, pounding, pinching, as the students had. I was amazed by their patience and how relaxed they were while the students struggled to make a pot. They were there for support and guidance while students worked on their own, developing tactile and problem-solving skills. As the rest of the class was occupied with making clay castles and tornadoes, the students with disabilities were content with their own. I was aware of our differences and wondered whether the students with disabilities understood their positions.
Michael was the larger boy with a disability. He sat at the end of the table and paid no attention to the rest of the class. He was devoted to molding the clay into round balls of increasing sizes. While everyone was occupied with their own projects, he raised his head and began singing "the hills are alive.... with the sound of m-u-u-u-sic" in an expressive falsetto. I was amazed. It was sang beautifully.
During the period, I realized how wonderful it was for these students to be working on their own clay projects while building a tactile skill and confidence.
No comments:
Post a Comment